Aphorisms Galore!

Discussions

Sometimes, users and visitors to Aphorisms Galore! feel the urge to comment on something, or even to start a discussion on a brand new topic. Sometimes, those users and visitors are living breathing human beings and not spam robots. When that happens, their messages show up here. (Some messages from spam robots may also appear from time to time, but I try to make sure they don't.)

101–120 (356)

(no title)  ·  posted 2010 by Frederick Johannson

To have a "good" conscience--this means to vomit something simply because it tastes bad. Open yourself to new tastes and let your stomachs grow stronger. That is my message.

He has a point!  ·  posted 2010 by Chris Jefferies

I like this aphorism from Mark Twain, and I have to agree that he makes a good point. I assume he was hoping none of his works would become classics!

(no title)  ·  posted 2010 by Anonymous

gay

(no title)  ·  posted 2010 by Anonymous

This is a misquote

(no title)  ·  posted 2009 by Anonymous

one cannot be closer to the truth than that.It also reminds one the words of Neils Bhor," the opposite of the great truth is another great truth".

Civilization will bring progress to the humanity, which eventually will take us far from nature and bring us close to death. Remember Lisbon 1755.

Civilization will bring progress to the humanity, which eventually will take us far from nature and bring us close to death. Remember Lisbon 1755.

say what?  ·  posted 2009 by anonymous

What does he mean by this?

It's in the Scriptures  ·  posted 2009 by Anonymous

2 Nephi 9:28 everybody!

Yeah, bet me! Won't happen! Well, maybe not.

Comment  ·  posted 2009 by mike hill

That is nothing more than a stupid utterance. It hardly fits the definition of an aphorism.

Precisely what one would expect from Gary Trudeau.

Brasington's Ninth Law  ·  posted 2007 by Riskable

This aphorism is actually "Brasington's Ninth Law". Just thought I'd point it out.

Sophia Loren .org - Biography, Photos, V  ·  posted 2007 by Cathal Dunphy

For more info on Sophia Loren and quotes by her you could try out www.sophialoren.org

Thorns  ·  posted 2007 by Tris Egg

Tristan Eggener is the ABSOLUTE MOST pathetic loser on the face of this earth. He does not deserve to breath

SOMETHING OF MYSELF  ·  posted 2007 by RonPrice

I came across several aphoristic phrases in Kipling's autobiography. I post the following prose-poem linking Kipling to the history of the evolution of the values and beliefs-my religion--in my own life.

English poet and novelist, Rudyard Kipling died on January 18th 1936. A "new hour had struck in the history"1 of the Bahá’í Faith. A new stage was set, a stage synchronizing with the deepening gloom in the world. That stage was the devising, the inauguration, of a plan for the systematic spread of the Faith in the United States beginning in May 1936. The prosecution of that Plan began in April/May 1937. In March 1937 Kipling's autobiography Something Of Myself was published. The extent to which Kipling’s description of his life failed to match what actually happened is extraordinary.

In the first sentence of his autobiography Kipling said he was dealt a set of cards and he had to play these cards during his life "as they came." I could very well have opened my own autobiography published sixty-six years later with that same line. In the last chapter of his book he said that writing to him had always been "a physical pleasure."2 Writing became that to me by degrees, sensibly and insensibly. A preamble stage existed in the years of my childhood and adolescence: 1944-1962. From 1962/3 to 1972/3 I now see as stage 1 of my literary life; 1972/3-1982/3 was stage 2; 1982/3-1992/3 was stage 3 and 1992/3-2002/3 was stage 4. I have just begun stage 5: 2002/3 to the present. That sense of physical pleasure Kipling described did not enter my sensory emporium until stage 2. -Ron Price with thanks to 1Shoghi Effendi, "Cablegram October 26, 1935," Messages To America, Wilmeete, 1947, p.5. and 2Rudyard Kipling, Something of Myself, Macmillan, London, 1937.

I came to the pleasure of ink, by degrees 36 years after you had left this mortal coil and that Plan had made an epochal shift. That pleasure served to keep me inside myself as it did you those many yea...

Read More

Synchronicity and TS Eliot  ·  posted 2007 by RonPrice

SYNCHRONICITY

To students of twentieth-century modernism, 1971 was the year when Valerie Eliot published a facsimile edition of The Waste Land’s pre-publication manuscripts. 1971 was a significant year in my own life for it was the year I left Canada and moved to Australia. Thirty-six years later it looked like I would lay my bones in that vast dry dog-biscuit of a continent. The publication of the pre-publication manuscripts of The Wasteland was an event which invited new accounts of the poem’s genetics and fresh assessments of how those might bear on our understanding of the poem. My move to Australia invited a different set of life studies and interpretations of my life-narrative and as the decades advanced fresh assessments of their meaning. -Ron Price with thanks to Valerie Eliot, ed., T. S. Eliot: The Waste Land: A Facsimile and Transcript of the Original Drafts Including the Annotations of Ezra Pound, Harcourt Brace, NY, 1971.

One year later, in 1972, I started teaching high school in South Australia. That same year Hugh Kenner and Grover Smith published two essays which, while differing sharply in premises and procedures, reached a consensus that Part III, “The Fire Sermon,” was the earliest portion of the poem to have been written, probably around midsummer 1921, followed first by Parts I and II, then by IV and V, the latter completed in December 1921. I was always impressed, at least since I first studied Eliot in 1963 and then taught his poetry in 1988, 25 years later, at the remarkable synchronicity between the writing of The Wasteland and a crucial stage in the institutionalization of charisma in the Bahá’í Faith associated with the passing of 'Abdu'l-Baha. -Ron Price with thanks to Hugh Kenner, “The Urban Apocalypse,” in Eliot in His Time: Essays on the Occasion of the Fiftieth Anniversary of the The Wasteland, ed. A. Walton Litz, Princeton University Press, Princeton, 1973, pp. 23–49.

By 1988 when I studied this poem to teach it...

Read More

Winston Churchill on the Web  ·  posted 2006 by kristopher9876

Hi,If you want to know the popularity of Winston Churchill on the Web, look at http://www.thepoplist.com/card.data/Winston%20Churchill_20071899.htm He is ranked as 72th. Politician and 121th. Popular personality on the internet.In the politics he is behind John Major but ahead of Bill Frist….. too bad! The site says his popularity has been falling and growing since last week

AN INTRODUCTION TO MYOPIA  ·  posted 2006 by Anand

hello, One can simply understand myopia or near sightedness as a disease in which person is unable to see the distant object, but can see the closer objects. In other words, light rays from distant source are unable to form an image over the retina. However, he is able to see the objects in his close vicinity.

The people suffering from myopia have problem to see the distant objects but can see the near objects. This disease is supposed to be carried away from generation to generation. Myopic patients are found to have steep shaped cornea, or have bigger eyes. Myopia generally strikes between the ages of eight to fifteen years. Children suffering from this disease find it difficult to see the black board from back seats of their classroom. After the passage of time when the myopic child grow up this disease become much prominent and at the age of adult hood becomes stagnant. to read the complete article please vist the http://www.articleboom.com and health and fitness category. thank you

101–120 (356)